SellUsedBooks.com College Essay Contest: Official Rules
PROGRAM RULES: Spring 2013 SellUsedBooks.com College Essay Contest
SPONSOR: SellUsedBooks.com (“Sponsor”)
Applications can be submitted through this page: SellUsedBooks.com College Essay Application.
February 1, 2013 Applications Open
April 30, 2013 Application Deadline
May 10, 2013 Supporting Documents Deadline
May 21, 2013 Scholarship Recipient Announced
Application Requirements/Selection Criteria:
(b) Fully completed application.
Supporting Documents Required of Potential Winners:
(a) Affidavit of Eligibility
(b) Publicity/Liability Release
(c) Copyright Assignment
(d) IRS Form W-9
(e) Copy of United States Driver’s License
(f) Headshot photograph in high-resolution, digitally as a JPEG or TIFF file
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Spring 2013 SellUsedBooks.com College Essay Contest is open to legal residents of the United States and who are eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of application and who are currently enrolled in an accredited college or university located in the United States or are enrolled by the start of the application period. Current employees or members of their immediate families are not eligible. Void where prohibited.
2. HOW TO APPLY: Beginning on the application open date, applicants must submit a complete Essay Contest Application online at http://www.sellusedbooks.com/sell-used-books-college-essay-application.htm by 11:59 pm Pacific Standard Time of the Application Deadline Date. Entries submitted by any other method (i.e. email, snail mail) will not be considered. Limit one (1) Application per person. Application must include name and contact information, background details, academic details, and a short original, previously unpublished written response to the scholarship topic, “Why I should win this scholarship.” Your written response must be written in English, with correct spelling and grammar, and it must be no less than seven-hundred and fifty (750) and not more than one-thousand two-hundred and fifty (1250) words. No substitutions of new drafts or corrected pages will be accepted once you have submitted your original Application. Written responses that are obscene, pornographic, libelous or otherwise objectionable will be disqualified. All Applications become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for lost, late, misdirected, or unintelligible entries. By submitting an Application, you fully and unconditionally accept and agree to these Official Scholarship Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding.
3. SELECTION OF POTENTIAL SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS: Sponsor is looking for eligible Applicants who follow directions and submit Applications that are well-written and clearly and thoughtfully address the topic. By May 10, 2013, a judge designated by Sponsor will select a potential scholarship winner from all of the applications that meet the application requirements listed in section one (1), based on an evaluation of your application, including answers to all questions, with particular emphasis on the essay portion. Writing ability, creativity, originality, and overall excellence will be taken into account. The finalist will be given until May 10, 2013 to submit Supporting Documents as listed below. On May 21, 2013, Sponsor will announce one (1) Grand Prize Winning Application. The potential winner will be notified by e-mail, at which time they will be required to sign further documentation as explained below. Sponsor shall have no liability for any potential winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by the potential winner for any reason. Sponsor reserves the right to choose different Scholarship Prize Recipients if initial recipients do not respond to accept Scholarship Price within 3 business days of notification. Sponsor reserves the right to extend the call for applications if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Applications. Portions of the Prize Winning Application/s will be posted on the Sponsor’s Website, and may be used in other marketing materials, without further compensation or notice to the winner.
4. SCHOLARSHIP PRIZES: One (1) winner will receive a Scholarship Prize in the amount of one thousand dollars and zero cents ($1,000.00). Each Scholarship Prize will be in the form of a check made payable to the Scholarship Prize Recipient. Scholarship Prize Recipients must submit proof of enrollment on or before May 10, 2013. Scholarship Prizes may not be assigned, transferred, or changed, except at the sole discretion of Sponsor. No cash equivalent prizes will be awarded. The awarding of any Scholarship Prize is contingent upon full compliance with these Official Rules. Applicants agree to be bound by Official Rules and agree that if any Scholarship Prize Recipient fails to provide proof of identity, refuses to provide a high-resolution headshot photo digitally, refuses to provide required affidavit, refuses to complete and provide any requested tax forms (including IRS W-9 form), is found to have violated the Official Rules or otherwise does not meet eligibility criteria, Scholarship Prize will be forfeited and the Applicant who submitted the Application with the next highest score will become an alternate potential Scholarship Prize Recipient. Applicants understand that Sponsor is not liable for injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising from participation in this Scholarship Program and acceptance, possession and use of Scholarship Prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Scholarship Program or in the announcement of the Scholarship Prize. Taxes on prizes are sole responsibility of Scholarship Prize Recipients. Scholarship Prize Recipients will be issued 1099 tax forms.
6. PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited, by accepting a Scholarship Prize, the Scholarship Prize Recipients agree that Sponsor may, without any limitation or further compensation or notice, use his or her name, voice and/or likeness in any and all media, worldwide, for the purpose of advertising and promoting the Website, the Sponsor, the Scholarship Program, or any other promotion sponsored by SellUsedBooks.com or MyBookDrive Inc.
7. OWNERSHIP: By submitting an Application, you acknowledge and agree that: (a) Sponsor will own your Application, including your written response submission, and (b) Sponsor will own all publishing rights in and to the Application and the written response submission. Each Applicant hereby irrevocably grants, transfers, assigns and conveys to the Sponsor, its successors and assigns, all present and future right, title and interest of every kind and nature whatsoever, including, without limitation, all copyrights, and all rights incidental, subsidiary, ancillary or allied thereto (including, without limitation, all derivative rights) in and to the Application and the written response submission(s) for use of any kind, without limitation in perpetuity, by means of any and all media and devices whether now known or hereafter devised (the “Rights”). Sponsor shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to edit, composite, morph, scan, duplicate, or alter, the Application and written response submission(s) for any purpose which Sponsor deems necessary or desirable, and each Applicant irrevocably waives any and all so-called moral rights they may have in the Application and written response submission(s) submitted by him or her. Each Applicant hereby acknowledges that such Applicant does not reserve any rights in and to the Application and the written response submissions.
8. DISPUTE RESOLUTION: Except where prohibited, by participating, Applicant agrees that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of participants and Sponsor and their agents shall be governed by and construed exclusively in accordance with the laws of the State of California without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law of any jurisdiction. Applicant agrees that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to this Scholarship Program, or awarding of the prizes, shall be filed only in the state or federal courts located in the State of California and Applicant hereby consents and submits to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. Except where prohibited, by participating in this Scholarship Program, Applicant agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Scholarship Program, or awarding of the Scholarship Prizes, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participating in this Scholarship Program but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any participant be permitted to obtain awards for and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitations or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above may not apply to you.
9. REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES/INDEMNIFICATION. Each person who enters this Scholarship Program represents and warrants to Sponsor as follows: (i) the Application, including the written response submission is the Applicant’s own original, previously unpublished, and previously unproduced work; (ii) the written response submission neither infringes upon nor violates the intellectual property rights or other rights of any other person or entity; (iii) the written response submission does not and will not violate any applicable laws, and meets the Submission Requirements set forth above. Each Applicant hereby agrees to indemnify and hold the Sponsor harmless from and against any and all third party claims, actions or proceedings of any kind and from any and all damages, liabilities, costs and expenses relating to or arising out of any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations or agreements of Applicant hereunder.
10. SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION: Upon notification of being one of the ten (10) potential Scholarship Prize Recipients all those notified will be required to complete and return an (a) Affidavit of Eligibility, (b) Publicity/Liability Release, and (c) Copyright Assignment, (e) IRS W-9, and to submit (f) a copy of their United States Driver’s License, (g) Headshot photograph in high-resolution, digitally as a JPEG or TIFF file no later than May 10, 2013, or the Applicant with the Application with the next highest score will become an alternate potential Scholarship Prize Recipient. If notification to a potential Scholarship Prize Recipient is returned as undeliverable, the Applicant with the Application with the next highest score may become an alternate potential Scholarship Prize Recipient.
11. NO OBLIGATION TO USE: Sponsor shall have no obligation (expressed or implied) to use any winning Application or continue the development, production or distribution thereof, and Sponsor may at any time abandon the use of the winning Application for any reason, and the Scholarship Prize Recipients shall not be entitled to any damages or other relief by reason thereof.
12. IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ - GENERAL RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY. By entering the Scholarship Program, each Applicant acknowledges and agrees that the Sponsor, its related companies, affiliates, and each such company’s respective employees, officers, directors and agents are not responsible for any costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with: (i) incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries or for failure to receive Applications due to any cause, including without limitation human, transmission, or technical problems, failures, or malfunctions of any kind, whether originating with sender, or otherwise, that may limit an Applicant’s ability to participate in the Scholarship Program; or (ii) any injury or damage resulting, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from participation in the Scholarship Program and/or the use of any prize, including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, or any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages related to or based on the Applicant’s rights of publicity or privacy, or the Applicant’s claim that he or she has somehow been defamed or portrayed in a false light. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any damage to an Applicant’s computer system which is occasioned by accessing the Website or participating in the Scholarship Program, or for any computer system, phone line, hardware, software or program malfunctions, or other errors, failures, delayed computer transmissions or network connections that are human or technical in nature, or for the incorrect or inaccurate capture of information, or the failure to capture any information. This scholarship program is subject to all U. S. federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
13. SPONSOR’S RIGHT TO MODIFY, SUSPEND OR TERMINATE. In the event Sponsor is prevented from continuing with the Scholarship Program by any event beyond its reasonable control, then Sponsor shall have the right in its sole discretion to modify, suspend, or terminate the Scholarship Program.
14. GENERAL PROVISIONS. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the application process or the operation of the Scholarship Program or the Website, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, to be submitting responses dishonestly or inaccurately, or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of any entrant, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. If an Application is confirmed by Sponsor to have been erroneously deleted, lost or destroyed, the entrant’s sole remedy shall be another Application, if time permits. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that or of any other provision.
16. LIST OF CONTEST PRIZE RECIPIENTS: The names of the Essay Contest winners will be posted on the SellUsedBooks.com Website (www.sellusedbooks.com/sell-used-books-college-essay.htm).
17. SPONSOR: The College Essay Contest is sponsored by SellUsedBooks.com
MyBookDrive Inc. / SellUsedBooks.com
1451 Doolittle Drive
San Leandro, CA 94577
Applications must be submitted through this page: SellUsedBooks.com College Essay Application